Morning, it’s Tuesday so it’s the start of a new challenge over on the Digi Choosday challenge blog, this weeks theme is ‘In Bloom’.
I decided to use use of the fabulous artwork from Work and Play 9 – Love & kisses, available on CD-Rom here or as a digital download here.
I wanted to create a cover for one of my Art Journals, using acrylic fluid inks so I needed to use my laser printer rather than my inkjet printer. This was because my inkjet printer whilst it will take heavier weight cardstock the printer ink won’t take kindly to the use of the acrylic fluid ink sprays, however, my laser printer is not keen on heavier weight cardstock. What to do, I remembered The acetone method of transferring laser prints, Nikky did a piece recently using this method using Stampbord and a digi image – you can see Nikky’s blog post here, problem solved 🙂
I wanted to create a vintage feeling piece but with nice bright colours. I just love how the transferred images have turned out, very clear but with a shabby and antique look, definitely going to use this technique again 🙂
I started by taking the images I’d chosen from the Work and Play 9 -Love and Kisses collection into a graphics program. I created a couple of corners using the flowers, flipped the ‘Love’ text so it would read correctly when transferred and sized the wings to fit the die cut I would be using. I also created a larger border/trim with the flowers to create the first layer of the journal cover. I printed the images onto cheap photocopy paper, you don’t need to print on your good quality papers because you want the acetone to penetrate the paper and transfer the laser print onto your choosen medium.
I roughly cut out the pieces and arranged on my watercolour cardstock, using the acetone on a cotton wool ball, I rubbed over the images. I then started getting messy with the acrylic fluid inks, I used a mini mister with water and added the acrylic fluid inks, I sprayed the image generously with the sprays and dried with a heat tool. I then added more interest to the background with rubber stamps and stencils, using Archival Inks. I also sprayed the mannequin die cut (from a Trimcraft First Edition die set) , I used the same watercolour cardstock, using a heat gun to speed up the drying process and used Antique Gold Buff-it on the stand and top of the mannequin. For the wings, also transferred onto watercolour card using the acetone method, sprayed again with the acrylic fluid inks and added some bling with the Wink of Stellar pens in clear and gold glitter.
I glued the wings to the mannequin and glued to the background with ArtDeco Matte Medium. I made the mannequin and wings pop by using a Faber Castell Big Brush Pitt Pen around the die cut. To add a little more texture I splattered black acrylic fluid ink on the piece, I sealed the whole piece with the ArtDeco Matte Medium once the splats had dried.
I matted the focal piece onto black cardstock and trimmed with the Anne border die, from Tattered Lace, and embellished with some black paper flowers and yellow flat back pearls.
I matted the focal piece on the larger floral background using 3D foam tape, matting the whole piece onto black cardstock and I trimmed the bottom of it with the Anne border.
Finally I used red super sticky double sided tape onto the front of the Art Journal.
Don’t forget to get the super, smashing, great discount code, available for today and today only, for use against digital downloads at Polkadoodles.
I’ll be entering the following challenges –
Crafting From The Heart – challenge #96
Craft Your Passion – challenge #296
Love To Scrap Challenge Blog – challenge #70
Mixed. Media Monthly Challenge – challenge #20